William C. Last, Jr. is a licensed California attorney whose practice primarily emphasizes transactions, litigation, arbitration, and mediation on behalf of companies and individuals involved in the construction industry.
Mr. Last has represented developers, lenders, design professionals, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers in a wide range of matters relating to mechanics' liens, stop notices, construction failures, latent defects, general contract and bidding disputes, and professional liability, as well as in disputes concerning delays, acceleration, disruption, and payment. Mr. Last has drafted and reviewed numerous construction contracts. He has been successful as lead defense counsel in numerous latent defect cases, including one in which plaintiff's claim exceeded $19.5 million. In a recent matter, a client he represented in a construction delay claim won an award of damages in excess of $1.8 million, including $50,000 in punitive damages.
Mr. Last is a Fellow in the Construction Lawyers Society of America.
Mr. Last is also is a mediator and arbitrator on the Arbitration Works panel.
Mr. Last is a member of a number of construction trade associations. As a result, he is familiar with the issues and problems that the construction industry encounters.
Contract Bidding, Negotiation, and Preparation
Payment and Collection
Construction Related Disputes
Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Areas Of Practice
- Construction Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- California Contractor's License, (A&B)
- California, 1978
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- San Francisco Law School, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1978
- Golden Gate University
- M.B.A. - 1982
- Major: Tax
- University of Nevada
- B.A. - 1972
- Incorporated California Real Property Reporter (Contributing Editor, Matthew Bender)
- California Construction Forms Manual
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- American Arbitration Association, Member, Construction Industry Panel of Arbitrators
- Associated General Contractors, Member
- Association of Builders and Contractors, Member
- Builders Industry Association, Member
- Peninsula Builders Exchange, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- San Francisco County Bar Association, Member
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Member